It’s been a week… Part I

Despite the overwhelming desire to sleep right now, I have to write this update before I have any more topics to cover than I already do. It has been an absolutely crazy week—filled with ups, downs, and turns every which way in between. We’ve had some incredible highs and heartbreaking lows, most of which are focused on topics I cover regularly, hence the need for a serious update. Let’s start from one week ago today.

Friday and Saturday

Last Friday, Nick and I made our way up to Stroudsburg, PA for the wedding of one of my best and oldest friends. I had the incredible honor of reading the “Love is patient” verse during the ceremony, so we went to the rehearsal/rehearsal dinner on Friday. One of my bridesmaids (and fellow reader) hosted Nick and I Friday night, so that was, of course, wonderful. The wedding was the following day and we had an absolute blast. It was a breathtaking moment to see someone I’ve known almost my entire life get married and such an honor to be a part of it. Not to mention, I got to see some old friends and catch up, which is certainly not something that happens often. If I didn’t have so much to cover, I’d go into more detail, but alas. It was a magical start to the weekend, and I couldn’t be happier for my dear friend and her new and amazing husband!


The weekend’s festivities did not stop there. Nick and I drove to Scranton the following day, after a lovely breakfast with some old friends and a beautiful walk around the venue, to celebrate my grandma’s 85th birthday. It always brings me such joy to spend time with my family, most of whom I don’t get to see often. We even had the honor of seeing my cousin, her husband, and their three beautiful girls for the first time in years. I can’t tell you how exciting it is to be in the throws of having a new generation beginning to flourish in our family. My cousin was ahead of all of us, but I anticipate the number of kids in the family will be increasing a bit over the next few years, which is surreal, but wonderful. Minus some medical-related struggles, the day was lovely.


Yeah… Here is where the week went downhill…

After a stressful start to the work-week, Nick and I had a meeting scheduled with the team at Lenape, our builder. As most of you know by now, Nick and I have been in the process of building a home since February. However, the county has put a hold on all new building permits in our neighborhood because the original developer (not ours), hasn’t addressed issues with the “open spaces” of the community. We learned this could be something larger that he needs to build or fix, or it could be as simple as planting some trees—we don’t know.

So, our builder had us in to review how we got to this point, where we are, and to talk about next steps. The bad news: the county wasn’t giving any more information. More bad news: the timeline would remain indefinite. Even more bad news (even though it was gracious and for the best): we were given the opportunity to walk away from our contract without penalty. The worst news: We took it…

One year into the house-hunt, we are two failed houses in and starting from square one. It was a low blow and it took everything in me to hold back the tears until Nick and I were in the car, but we are firm believers that everything happens for a reason and that neither house was the right one for us, despite whole-heartedly believing they were. Luckily, we had an amazing builder, who let us out of our contract 5 months before they legally had to (and even looked into putting us up in an apartment until they could bring the project to completion), an incredible family and support system, and a dedicated realtor, so very ready to get us in a house. I am thinking a Part II might be in order, so I will hold on diving into next steps further until then, which are already set in motion.


Tuesday was the aftermath of Monday, not finding much relief. Spirits were pretty low on my end and the day reflected that. However, I was determined to take some time to soak it all in before picking myself back up and looking to the future. I let the first house completely dominate my emotions for far too long; I wasn’t going to do the same for the second. By Wednesday, I was at peace with the situation.

I think it wise for me to end this here. I’d love to continue going and get back to a higher note, but I also want to make sure I don’t overload a singular post. I will preface by saying the next post will be under the wedding category, as we have an update and plenty of engagement photos to share!! Part II of this post will likely go up some time this weekend.

Until then!


3 thoughts on “It’s been a week… Part I

  1. Pingback: Tiny Two Cents

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s