It comes as no surprise that I never got around to Part II this weekend; however, this time I genuinely believed I would. Nick and I spent the weekend house/dog/cat-sitting for his parents down at the beach and typically—when we have a just-the-two-of-us weekend—we have a lot of down time. This time, however, happened to be much more active than usual.
We went for a bike-ride, ate out (a lot), saw Baby Driver (uhmazing), got to the beach (twice), and even toured the Dogfish Head Brewery before coming home. It was a really nice weekend and having the four days off was absolutely wonderful. Let me tell ya: my lifelong goal of having a 4-day work week seems more and more appealing with every long weekend.
But I want to finish my post from last week about last week. To recap, the biggest piece of news was that our builder gave us the option to walk away from our contract on the house and we did. The process was going to remain indefinite and they didn’t feel it was right to hold us until the contract was up at the end of November. It was a kind thing for them to do, but one that left us at square one—a heartbreaking blow after a year of looking and now two failed houses. You can read the entirety of Part I here.
Thursday was a hard and exhausting day, which began with my first round of medical testing done in the morning. For those of you out of the loop, here is a link to the background story on the subject. Here’s the gist; I’ve been seeing a few specialists to narrow in on a diagnosis for issues I’ve been facing since 2014. They impact my life on a day-to-day basis and sometimes dangerously so, so it’s been long overdue to get to the bottom of it. My ENT believes it to be something called Vestibular Migraines, but the best way for us to make a certain diagnosis is to rule our other possibilities. Hence, the testing I had done Thursday.
I went to the Audiology Department at Christiana Hospital to get three tests done. The first was a hearing test, which went well. The second was a series of tests that recorded eye movements—only one of those left me feeling uncomfortable. The third knocked me down hard (metaphorically) and I was down for the rest of the day. It was a test designed to “throw me off,” as I call it, and—let me tell you—it did what it was supposed to do. They started by blowing warm air into my right ear for about 45 seconds, followed by the other ear, then both again, but with cool air.
As it started, I thought nothing was going to happen. Then about 15 seconds in, I got dizzy… then dizzier… then I would have bet my life the whole room was moving and I with it. After four rounds of this, well, let’s just say my motion sickness got the better of me. We were supposed to take 5 minute breaks in between each round—I needed 10 to get the room to stop spinning… not fun. Safe to say, I was home and in bed the rest of the day, only getting up to eat and eventually see some homes later in the evening. Test results will be making their way to me soon.
Getting back to the new and improved house hunt; our realtor is incredibly motivated to help us find our home. She was quick to set everything up, has been sending options left and right, and we were able to tour three locations Thursday evening. We saw an old Victorian home which looked updated, but it was not nearly as updated as we thought. It was beautiful, but a quick no. We also saw two new construction communities, one of which has us very excited. I can’t go much further into it because we are waiting for two important make-or-break-it details, but it looks incredibly promising, so I’m going to need y’all to cross those fingers for us!
It was a whirlwind of a week and absolutely jam packed, so I was grateful for a long weekend—I really needed it. We have a lot going on right now and it’s tough to keep it all in check, but we’re doing the best we can and rolling with the punches as they come. The road to a new home does not look to be a short one, but we know it will be worth it when the day finally comes.
Until next time, my dears…